The Old Print Shop was founded in 1898. At that time, it was located between 9th and 10th Streets on Fourth Avenue in back of Wanamaker's. The gallery made its big move in 1925 to its current home at 150 Lexington Avenue in midtown Manhattan. The Newman family purchased the business from the estate of the founder Edward Gottschalk in 1927 and is currently run by second, third and fourth generation family members. For over 100 years the shop has featured and promoted American art and artists to collectors, museums and fellow dealers.
Today the gallery specializes in American art from 1700 to 2009, antiquarian maps, vintage and contemporary photography, and art books. The galleries collection is impressive, having one of the largest collections of American Historical Prints outside public institutions, and one of the finest collections of American prints between 1900 and 1950. Currently the gallery represents over 70 contemporary artists who specialize in printmaking as their expressive medium. The gallery has been a leading dealer in antiquarian maps for over sixty years and continues to collect and promote these amazing and historically important works. Ten years ago the gallery opened a bookstore that features books relating to the fine arts. The books range from scholarly research books to books created by artist’s for artistic expression.